Thursday, March 3, 2011

Marianne Faithful can go away and die

Today, I'm going to write about something that has been bothering me intensely today. This thing falls under the vague stratosphere of musical blogging. I'd also like to mention that while I am within this vague stratosphere, I am also vaguely drunk, as I have had not one, but two pints of Bulmers original cider. (Two pints of cider is just the right amount of alcohol I can consume to remain whimsical yet still maintain the critical coherency to write a blog entry)

MUSICAL THOUGHT 


Today I saw the cover of Marianne Faithfull's new album. It looks like this.



I'm sorry, but quite frankly, I've never seen a more ridiculous contemporary album cover for anything, ever. You may remember Marianne Faithful as the self-proclaimed Kate Moss of "her day" and professional girlfriend to the musically gifted. Every now and then, Marianne Faithful releases an album, and her record sales are almost completely made up of posh mums and twenty-something girls who believe buying vintage clothing makes you a better person. Which I don't really have a problem with; kuddos to Marianne and all that. But just LOOK at this. "Horses and High Heels" is a pretty baffling thing to call your album by anyones standards. I'm not even sure what its supposed to lyrically represent. Horses.. so Marianne is.. earthy? Rustic? At the heart of it all, a down home country gal? But HANG ON A RUDDY SECOND. "High heels".  She's glamorous. Daring. She lives by no-ones rules. Marches to her own drum. Indulges in the occasional mars bar party.

I haven't actually listened to the album, and its safe to say I never will, so I will never know Marianne's true reasoning for calling her album such a dreadful thing. I can only stare at this absolutely bizarre album cover. It fascinates me. Who ok'ed this? Who thought this would be a good idea? Keep looking at it. Look at the horse. Look at the high heels. Look at the other horse, hidden in the shrubbery next to the real horse. Look at the crashing waves and vivid colours. What?



1 comment:

  1. Remind me to punch you in the mouth for making me click on the hotlinked Mars bar party.

    ReplyDelete